Court Feb 20 - Church theft lands woman in prison

.

While a Kawerau woman was busy with children at a church Sunday School, Jessica Rawinia Epiha went into her purse, stole a debit card and used it 25 times.

The 29-year-old appeared for sentence in the Whakatāne District Court on Wednesday on a charge of theft and a representative charge of obtaining by deception relating to the 25 transactions on the ANZ card, which totalled $1171.40.

The offending occurred on November 16 and was described by Epiha’s lawyer, Whare Hika, as “opportunistic” rather than premeditated.

Judge Tony Couch said the theft might have been opportunist, but what happened afterwards was not.

The court heard how Epiha had been at a local church in Kawerau on November 16 and there was an older woman there looking after children at the Sunday School.

While she was doing that, Epiha went through her handbag, stole the card, then went into town where she used the card as quickly and frequently as she could.

Judge Couch said it might have been impulse to go into the handbag and steal the card.

“But then you chose places to go and goods to buy with the card, and you did that deliberately – that’s premeditated.”

The offending was also a breach of trust with the victim having the right to be able to trust her fellow churchgoers.

He sentenced Epiha to 10 months and 21 days in prison with no leave to apply for home detention.

Home detention for drink driver

A recidivist drink driver who notched up three high-level drink driving convictions in three years has been sentenced to home detention.

Joshua James Galvin, 37, of Kawerau, appeared for sentence on charges of driving with an excess breath alcohol level of 957 micrograms of alcohol per litre of breath, and disqualified driving. The legal level for driving is 250mcg.

The court heard that Galvin had received an alcohol interlock sentence in 2023 on a previous drink-driving charge but had never obtained the alcohol interlock licence, so remained disqualified from driving indefinitely.

In September 2025, he was stopped by police early in the morning driving on River Road in Kawerau and  found to have been drinking.

Judge Couch described the offending as “very serious” at nearly four times the legal limit.

He noted Galvin had three alcohol offences in the past three years with similar high levels, including one of 1075mcg, plus earlier offending in 2006.

He said that by a “small margin” he was prepared to consider a home detention sentence.

“But you have got to understand with a sentence of home detention, you must abide by the rules of that sentence strictly.

“If you are unable or unwilling, it will be revoked and the only alternative is prison.”

Because Galvin does not have a vehicle, the judge did not impose a further alcohol interlock order and instead disqualifed him from driving indefinitely.

When and if he is able to regain his licence, it will be a zero alcohol licence.

Case review remand

Four people charged in relation to violent offending at Te Teko in October last year have been remanded until May 13 for a Crown case review hearing.

Anaru Nikorima Te Rire, 25, Atamarie Te Rire, 28, Tipene Te Rire, 27, and Britney Rose Dahm, 25, are jointly charged with three counts of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

They have pleaded not guilty to the charges, which relate to three victims. The incident occurred in Te Teko on October 18.

Tipene Te Rire faces a fourth charge of failing to assist police as they were undertaking a serach.

Pre-trial callover

Judge Couch declined to provide a sentencing indication for a man who appeared on three charges of indecently assaulting a female aged under 12.

The man, who has name suppression, was remanded to a pre-trial callover in the Tauranga District Court on June 26.

The judge told him that if he wished to change his pleas on the matters, they could be brought back at short notice.

Speeding after drinking

Toi Ngarino Ken Barsdell was fined  $600 plus court costs and disqualified from driving for one year and one day when he appeared for sentence for driving with excess breath alcohol.

Barsdell, 33, was stopped by police because he was speeding, and was found to have a breath alcohol level of 468 mcg.

He confirmed to Judge Couch that he had also received a speeding ticket as a result, which he had yet to pay.

Denies indecent act

Cameron Stuart Howard has been remanded for case review on sexual assault charges.

The 38-year-old Kawerau man has pleaded not guilty to four counts of committing an indecent act, relating to alleged offending in December 2024, and one count each of rape and strangulation.

The charges relate to one victim who was aged 13.

He will reappear on May 13.

April sentence date

Tamati Chamberlain, 28, of Edgecumbe, will be sentenced on April 29 on charges of driving while disqualified and breach of community work.

Sentencing delayed

Lawson Maui was convicted for driving while suspended and remanded to May 20 for sentence.

The three-month delay will allow Maui, who has a learner driver licence, to sit his restricted licence.

Police have indicated that if he can get his restricted licence prior to sentence, they may be “neutral” on a Section 94 application, which allows the court to substitute a mandatory driving disqualification with a community-based sentence.

Fifth drink-drive

Bruce Pickford will appear on April 23 for sentence on a charge of driving with excess breath alcohol.

Pickford, 34, of Whakatāne, was stopped by police on December 31 while driving on State Highway 30 at Te Teko.

The court heard this was his fifth drink driving conviction.

Jointly charged

Two of four men charged in connection with an aggravated robbery on Kakahoroa Drive have been remanded without plea until March 4.

Shane Tamihana Mulafia, 36, of Whakatāne, and Hamiora Frederick Moeke, 20, of Whakatāne, are jointly charged alongside two other men with aggravated robbery on February 9.

Mulafia is also charged with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

It is alleged the men robbed the victim of $1012.70.

Name suppression

A 38-year-old man facing charges of male assaults female and indecent assault has been granted interim name suppression until his next appearance on April 9.

The man has yet to plead to the charges.

No pleas entered

Maureen Aroha May Hazel was remanded in custody on charges of burglary, theft and possession of a pipe for smoking methamphetamine.

She is alleged to have entered the Quay Street apartments with intent to commit a crime, and to have stolen a $600 security camera.

She will reappear on March 12  to plead to the charges.

Support the journalism you love

Make a Donation